Motor vehicle inspection is a key component of sustainable road safety. As such NTSA conducts this inspection of all vehicles in Kenya. Previously NTSA only carried out inspections of public service vehicles.
However, the authority is seeking to expand its motor vehicle inspection to private vehicles, motorcycles and three-wheelers. In their 2016 draft proposal, the authority proposed to have private vehicles that are more than four years old from the date of manufacture undergo a mandatory inspection after every two years. Initially, private vehicles were only inspected in their country of origin but once in the country, they were not inspected.
Additionally, vehicles involved in road accidents will be required to undergo a mandatory repair inspection. Similarly, a vehicle that undergoes major structural and mechanical changes such as an engine change will undergo modification inspection.
The move is to help curb the raising tragic road accidents that are now being blamed on private vehicles. Are you worried about how to book for NTSA motor vehicle inspection? Worry not. We are going to take you through the step-by-step procedure of the motor vehicle inspection book and subsequent inspection.
Read more: 5 causes of road accidents in Kenya
Requirements for booking motor vehicle inspection
- An active Transport Integrated Management System (TIMS)
- NTSA payment invoice
- The vehicle to be inspected
- Applicable fee
- Your presence
Step-by-step guide on how to pay for NTSA motor vehicle inspection
- Login into your TIMS account
- Once logged in select the vehicle inspection tab
- Click on the first option “payment of inspection booking.”
- Choose the type of inspection that you require and click next.
- Select the vehicle that you want to be inspected and click next.
- A fee payment page will display. Click next.
- Choose your prefered payment method. However, Mpesa is simple and convient.
- Click complete to confirm your payment and continue to printing your payment receipt.
- After a successfull payment proceed to book your vehicle for an inspection.
Read more: How Register NTSA TIMS Account
How to book for NTSA motor vehicle inspection
- While logged in your TIMS account select vehicle inspection tab and click on the second option “inspection booking.”
- Details of the vehicle that you paid for inspection will be displayed. Click next.
- Click on booking and proceed to select your prefered inspection center, date and time. By cliking the search icon you activate the time.
- Finally view and print your booking from “booking inspection list.”
NTSA vehicle inspection checklist
- Vehicle and driver details
- Exterior of the car
- Interior of the car
- Steering and suspension such as shocks
- Lights such as signals, hazard, headlights)
- Fluid levels
- Exhaust system
Read more: How to get a Smart Driving License in Kenya
NTSA vehicle inspection centers
- Kisumu inspection center
- Mombasa inspection center
- Kakamega inspection center
- Likoni inspection center
- Nakuru inspection center
- Garissa inspection center
- Embu inspection center
- Nyeri inspection center
- Nyahururu inspection center
- Machakos inspection center
- Meru inspection center
- Thika inspection center
- Voi inspection center
- Kisi inspection center
- Kericho inspection center
- Eldoret inspection center
- Kitale inspection center
- Nairobi area inspection center
- Ruaraka inspection center
You can go ahead and book your vehicle at any NTSA vehicle inspection center.