Smocha is a spiced combination of smokie rolled inside chapati majorly eaten in Kenyan universities. The finger and addictive snacks retail for around Ksh.55. They can be spiced up to your liking from chili sauce to tomato sauce and mayonnaise.
Read also: How to make a smoothie at home
Preparation of chapati
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- In a bowl, mix the flour, salt. and sugar
- Gently add water to the flour mixture and mix until the dough is consistent. The dough should be smooth and elastic but not sticky or hard.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes to make it smooth and pliable.
- Cover the dough and let it settle for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8-10 equal-sized balls.(the number of balls depends on your size preference)
- lightly flour a flat surface.
- Place the balls on the surface and use a rolling pin to roll out the ball of dough into a thin circle.
- Heat a pan or skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Once hot, place a rolled-out dough on the skillet.
- Cook for about 30 seconds until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip the chapati and cook for another 30 seconds on the other side.
- Remove from pan and repeat with remaining dough balls.
Read also: Recipe: How to make cappuccino at home
Preparation of smokie
- Desired number of smokies
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Frying oil
- Pre-heat the frying pan on medium heat for about a minute
- To the pan, add oil and let it heat
- Add the smokies one at a time to the pan and spread them evenly to make sure all sides cook evenly. If you are preparing many smokies, you will have to do them in batches.
- Fry the smokies till golden brown. To check if they are properly cooked. Cut one of the smokies and the meat should be firm and without pink juice oozing when pressed.
Read also: How to cook pizza at home
The Marriage of the chapati and smokie
- On a flat surface lay the chapati (The number of chapatis used is based on user preference)
- Slice the smokie in have making sure not to cut through to the other end
- Add kachumbari to your liking.
- Additional seasoning can be done. Tomato sauce, chili sauce, barbeque sauce, and mayonnaise can be added to enhance flavor.
Smocha is best served when hot with a cold beverage.
Read also: Wheat Farming in Kenya