NTSA motor vehicle search is a key element when you want to buy a locally used vehicle in Kenya. The good thing is that motor vehicle searches can be done online through your NTSA TIMS account.
The search reveals the details about the vehicle such as the date of first registration in Kenya and ownership history. It is worth noting that despite having the original log book a search is important.
Read also: How to transfer car ownership in Kenya
Requirements for NTSA vehicle and log book search
- A service fee of KSh 550 in your Mpesa, Airtel money or visa card.
- An active Transport Integrated Management System (TIMS) account
- Internet connectivity
- Laptop/computer or smartphone
- The phone number was to register your TIMS account.
- Vehicle registration number
Read also: How Register NTSA TIMS Account
The procedure of Motor vehicle search
- Login into your TIMS account
- Select online search
- Click on Copy of Vehicle Register Record
- Input the Registration Number of the vehicle that you want to search
- Review the amount payable and click on NEXT.
- Select your preferred method of payment and proceed with the payment. Click the complete button to complete the payment process.
- After successful payment view or print the payment invoice.
- After the above steps, you will be able to view and print the vehicle’s record.
- It is advisable to get a printout so that you can compare the details with those on the owner’s log book.
Read more: How to book a vehicle inspection at NTSA
Details revealed after successful NTSA Motor vehicle search
- Make eg Toyota, Nissan, Honda, BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen
- Vehicle Model eg Toyota RAV4
- Body Type ie Sedan, station wagon, pick up, lorry
- Chassis No
- Engine Number No
- Year Of Manufacture
- Name Of Owner
- Owner’s address
- Caveat if any
Mverified motor vehicle search in Kenya
Mverified offers a real-time NTSA motor vehicle search in Kenya. Unlike the TIMS method mverified is both a mobile and web-based application. The records of the vehicle are sent directly to your mobile phone and a printable search is sent to your email address within a minute.
How to go about mverified is outlined below.
- Go to your M-Pesa menu
- Select ‘Lipa na M-PESA’
- Select ‘Buy Goods and Services’
- ‘Enter till number’: 2 0 2 9 9 4
- ‘Enter amount’: 940
- ‘Enter PIN’: Your four digit secret PIN
- Confirm by selecting ‘OK’
- Proceed to fill the required details below
- Registration Number
- Transaction code
- Your full name
- Your email
- Phone number
Your are now informed to make an informed decision when buy a used car in Kenya. Do not underestimate the value of car search.
Read: How to get a Smart Driving License in Kenya