Who is a narcissist?
A person who shows Narcissism and Narcissistic personality disorder(NPD).
People who are full of themselves. Me, I kind of an individual. A person who disregards the feelings of others and doesn’t show empathy or remorse.
Well, narcissists are not people who are far from us. They can be your partner, boss, parent, friend, classmate or even your acquaintance. These type of people are not only difficult to handle but can make you stressed. However, by reading this article you will be able to identify them, and live with them without being hurt.
Also read: How to overcome depression without medication
What are the characteristics?
For you to learn how to live with a narcissist you must identify them. They may have some of the following characteristics.
- Amplified form ego, a perception of prerogative need of exaltation and adoration. Need to feel
admired and praised.
- Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it.
- Exaggerate achievements and talents, preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate.
- Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior.
- Take advantage of others to get what they want.
- Behave in an arrogant or naughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious
among many others.
Also read: Five morning routines that can keep you healthy
What causes Narcissism
- An upbringing with adverse challenges (such as physical, sexual and verbal abuse).
- Genetics (family history).
- Excessive exposure to noise and environmental hazards
- Personality and temperament.
How do you cope when you realize you are a narcissist?
- Recognize that this is a mental disorder; Learning about the disorder can be eye-opening for your
friends and family.
- Couples therapy, Family Counseling, Individual counseling and Support groups can work well.
How do you deal with people who are narcissists?
- Set boundaries, do not allow yourself to be a doormat.
- Do not take blame to make others happy nor should you take responsibilities that are not yours.
- Do not look for approval from narcissists.
- Do not give your time and resource to them. Starve them of your attention.
- If you are married to one seek counseling together and always put your needs ahead of others no matter what.
- If the person is your boss and there is nothing you can do about their toxic behavior find another job and quit.
- If the person is your parents then it’s going to be difficult. In this case, you need a psychiatrist to help you. It is most likely that you also have the disorder or other personality disorders. So you need treatment. most people run to church for family problems and end up getting more frustrated. It’s important to remember that narcissism is a mental disorder and like any other disorder. People need trained doctors for treatment. The majority of people in the church are not trained to cope with mental and personality disorders.
Also read: What are the Dangers of body toxins
Where can people find help?
In Kenya, we have registered counselors and psychiatrists. It all begins by accepting that you have
a problem or your loved one is suffering. After that, you seek help on your own behavior or on
behave of your loved ones.